Dr Diana Coffey
I am an experienced and compassionate Adult consultant psychiatrist with over twenty years of psychiatric practice. I have worked as a consultant psychiatrist in the NHS, the independent sector and the Ministry of Defence. I have practising privileges at Priory Hospital Woking in Surrey.
Prior to my psychiatric training, I worked in general medicine and surgery. This invaluable experience formed my overall clinical management of patients, with emphasis not only on mental health symptoms but also physical health issues. I remain interested in new developments and aim to keep up to date with medical progress. This ensures that my patients benefit from a holistic assessment and treatment to maximise their recovery chances.
I completed my initial psychiatric training at Guy’s and St Thomas’ training scheme in London, then went on to complete my specialist training in forensic psychiatry at North Thames training scheme in London and Essex. I successfully completed my training and was awarded the Membership of the Royal College of Psychiatrists in 2005, and the Certificate of Completion of Training in Forensic
Psychiatry in 2008.
I have additional training in psychotherapy – in 2010 I successfully completed the intensive training course in Dialectical Behaviour Therapy which was organised by prominent American psychologist Marsha Linehan. I apply these invaluable psychotherapeutic skills in my practice, especially when treating patients with self-harm and/or emotional dysregulation.
After fifteen years in forensic psychiatry, I decided to return to general psychiatry. I worked as a Consultant in Older People Mental Health at Southern Health NHS Trust, then at the Department of Community Mental Health at Portsmouth Naval base. During COVID restrictions, I returned to the NHS and took up a temporary position of a Consultant in General Adult psychiatry at Sussex Partnership NHS trust.
In August 2020, I was granted practising privileges at Priory Hospital Woking. Since then, I have combined my own independent practice with Priory referrals (outpatients and inpatients).
During my NHS and independent career, I was always involved in teaching and supervision of other doctors and mental health professionals. I remain actively involved in the clinical governance process and Senior Clinical Forum at Priory Hospital Woking.
When making decisions about treatment, I apply the best current evidence- based information and guidelines to help my patients. This includes NICE guidelines, advice from the BNF (British National Formulary), the Royal College of Psychiatrists and other relevant sources.
Qualifications and Memberships
Dr Diana Coffey
- Full registration with a licence to practise by the General Medical Council (GMC)
- Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrist (MRCPsych)
- Specialist Register in Forensic Psychiatry with the GMC (General Medical Council)
- Certificate of Completion of Training in Forensic Psychiatry (CCT)
- Approved Clinician and section 12(2) approved under the Mental Health Act
- Cardiff University Law School Bond Solon Expert Witness Certificate and CPR35 Certificate
- Member of the General Adult Psychiatry and Neuropsychiatry Faculty at the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Member of a Special interest group at the Royal College of Psychiatrists in Private Practice & Independent Practice and Women & Mental Health